What to Know About Storm damage
Northland Roofing, LLC
24 Hour Service - Insurance Specialists - 15 Year Warranty
Got Questions About Storm Damage?
Serving Dutchess County, Fairfield County, Litchfield County, New Haven County & Putnam County.
What to Know About Storm Damage
There are a lot of ways that a bad storm can damage your home and roof. The good news is that your homeowner’s insurance policy might cover storm-related damages, especially heavy winds.
The Insurance Information Institute reported that more claims were filed from 2014 to 2018 with wind and hail damage as the reason than for anything else, including fire, theft, and water damages.
It’s pretty common for a homeowner’s policy to cover at least part of the cost for a roof repair or replacement related to wind damage. Harsh weather can not only damage your roof, but also have a disastrous effect on the interior with water damage.
Our experts at Northland Roofing can help you understand what your policy will cover and work with your insurance to maximize the claim. We can answer any questions you have and schedule an estimate when you call today, or you can keep reading for answers to common questions about storm damage!
What are the Causes of Storm Damage?
When you think of storm damage, you might think of shingles ripped off and water coming through the ceiling. However, the danger of storm damage is that it’s not always obvious. If you have hail or heavy rain come through, you might not experience the repercussions of those storm damages for days or even weeks after.
There are several signs that you can watch for to know that you might have storm damage. The sooner you hire us to give your home a professional inspection, the more likely we can prevent things from getting worse and file a successful claim. Here are some of the most common signs of storm damage:
- Asphalt shingles are dented, missing, or damaged
- Leaks, which may show up as water spots or stains
- Tile shingles are broken or cracked
- Gutters or flashing are dented or damaged
- Excessive granules in your gutters
If you notice any of these issues, especially after a storm, your roof could be in trouble. We’ll diagnose the problem and recommend the best course of action when you call us today!
Need Roof Replacement?
Your roof is the main line of defense between you and the elements, so it takes a lot of damage over time. While we can extend the life of your roof with proper maintenance and roof repairs, you’ll eventually need a new roof. It could be that the damages are too extensive, or you might want to upgrade the materials on your roof for better protection.
A roof replacement could also be the best option based on your insurance coverage. We’ll keep your budget and replacement needs in mind with our recommendations and services. We know that roof repair and replacement can be a serious investment.
It’s important to remember that your roof has to be effective for your protection. With a roof replacement, we can improve your home’s insulation, take care of any leaks, and upgrade your materials. To prevent damages from getting worse, call us today about your inspection!
Understanding Wind Damage
In most cases, any damages that wind causes to your property falls under wind damage on your insurance policy. These types of harsh winds can tear up the materials on your roof, break windows, and other effects.
There are a variety of storms that can cause wind damage to your roof. Whether it’s a natural disaster or a common situation, here are some of the most common storms that might be covered by your insurance:
All of these storm types can cause wind damage that’s usually covered by homeowner’s insurance. Most policies have a dwelling section that will typically pay for a roof repair or replacement. In a lot of cases, it might also cover window or siding services.
Your homeowner’s insurance might also cover damage to personal property, which could include repairing or replacing items affected by wind. To better understand your insurance policy, you should read it over carefully or let us help you.
Pay attention to any information on deductibles, exclusions, and limits on what can be covered. Some areas have higher deductibles for specific storm types, like hurricanes. If you have questions, feel free to call us today and schedule your inspection!
What Does Home Owner’s Insurance Cover?
If your homeowners insurance policy includes coverage for wind damage, it typically covers the cost for roof replacement or repair. However, the amount of coverage may vary depending on the policy’s limits and deductibles.
The age of your roof and any pre-existing damage or maintenance issues may impact the coverage for wind damage. That’s one reason it’s so important to let a professional like Northland Roofing service your roof over time.
If your roof is older, the insurance company may only offer partial reimbursement for repairs or replacement costs. A separate policy for other structures on your property, like a shed or detached garage, may cover wind damage to their roofs as well.
If you have any wind damage to your roof from a storm, you should give us a call first, and then your insurance company… but you should make both of those calls as soon as possible. The sooner you report the issue and get your claim process started, the more likely you’ll have a successful claim. But having a roofer on your side can help the entire process go much more smoothly, which is why we recommend you call us first.
Your insurance carrier will send their own inspector to assess any damages to your home and roof. They’ll base what they consider appropriate coverage on their findings. One thing you can do to maximize coverage is hold onto any documentation or photographic evidence of roof maintenance, repair, or replacement. If you called us first, we may even be able to meet with the adjuster at the job location.
The siding of your home can help with insulation and protection, so it’s just as important. Homeowners insurance policies typically cover wind damage to siding, including vinyl, metal, and other materials.
The policy should help pay for the replacement or repair of your damaged siding, so that the exterior of your home can be restored. We’ll make sure that your replaced or restored siding matches with the rest of your home.
If your homeowners insurance policy includes coverage for other structures, it might cover wind damage to fences on your property. The policy will usually pay the actual cash value of the fence after it is damaged or ruined by wind.
You can expect for any limits or deductibles to be taken out of the reimbursement. If your fence is older, you may not receive full reimbursement for the cost of a brand new fence. Insurance might only cover the depreciated value of your fence.
We Repair Storm Damaged Homes Fast!
Severe winds and storm damage can take a huge toll on your home. The good news is that your homeowner’s policy might cover you for wind-related damages. However, there are things you can do to improve the effectiveness of your roof and prevent worse damages, like:
- Professional inspections. Letting us routinely inspect your roof is a great way to make sure things are intact. Our experts will check for missing or cracked materials that could expose your underlayment and roof decking to water damage. We’ll also look over the attic area for signs of a leak and gutters for damages or clogs.
- Reduce the chances of flying debris. Heavy winds can pick up items in your yard and fling them against your home or windows. By cleaning up your yard, you can limit any projectiles. This includes toys, baskets, grills, bicycles, and lawn furniture. We also recommend trimming your tree branches.
- Siding inspection. Your siding is an extra layer of protection for your home. If any siding is loose, it might need to be resealed, especially near windows and doors. Other areas of your home that may have siding issues are the dryer vent, water line, and anywhere that wires go inside.
Need Help Filing Your Claim for Storm Damage in Danbury, CT?
When your roof has storm damage, it can help to know what to do next. Our team has a lot of experience with the process of roof repair and replacement, but we want to give you an idea of what to expect. Here are the basics on filing your insurance claim:
- Call your insurance carrier. Once you notice damages to your roof, you should notify your insurance company and figure out the best time for their inspector to assess your home.
- Waiting period. It can take a few days for your insurance company to get back to you after their inspection. Their report should explain all of their findings and may include the first check for roof repairs.
- Give us a call. Northland Roofing will inspect and diagnose your roof damages. We’ll take a look at what your insurance company recommended and give our own suggestions on the next step. Our roofing experts will also give you an estimate for repairs or a roof replacement.
To make sure you get quality work done on your roof, you should trust the experts. We understand the best methods and have the right equipment to keep your home secure, so call us today!
Storm Damage FAQ
Will storm damage be covered by your homeowner’s insurance?
In most cases, yes. Each policy can be different, but homeowner’s insurance generally covers a range of damages, including:
- Damage to the interior of your home as a result of a storm
- Falling debris, like tree branches
If shingles are pulled off of your roof by strong winds, and rain gets in to cause a leak, those damages might be covered by your homeowner’s insurance. On the other hand, if that leak doesn’t happen because of storm damage, it probably won’t be covered. The main difference in those situations is maintenance.
What steps should you take after a storm?
- Take pictures. You should also do before-and-after photos for any work done on your roof. The more evidence you have of your roofing materials or home being damages or worked on, the better.
- Use our suggestions earlier to reinforce your home from potential damages.
- File your claim.
- Call us.
Can you repair your own roof?
Technically, yes, but you absolutely need to wait until after your insurance claim goes through. However, we strongly recommend working with a professional. With our expertise and experience, you could save time, money, and effort if your repairs come out wrong.
There’s also the inherent risk of injury from falling off your roof, while our team has the proper safety equipment and tools to guarantee quality roofing services. When you’re looking for a contractor, you should check if they’re licensed and insured.
You can also check for positive online reviews. Make sure the service you need is specifically mentioned and see what customers are saying about it.
Why would your policy not cover the same as another?
There are many factors that can affect a successful claim, especially when it comes to roof replacement. Your replacement might not be covered while you might know someone who got fully reimbursed. Some of the main variables that affect your roof coverage are:
- Pets and animals
- How old your roof is
- Proper maintenance
- How much debris has collected
- Roof installation method
- The slope or style of your roof
- Quality of roofing materials
- What direction the storm came from
- Which way your roof’s slope faces
- Tree cover and other natural protections from wind or hail